The 10 Largest Islands in the World
Greenland in the North Atlantic
With an area of 2,175,597 square kilometers, Greenland is by far the largest island in the world. It was a Danish colony for centuries, but is now under self-government and is only represented externally by Denmark. Just under 56,000 people live on the huge land mass, which is largely covered by ice, but they share an enormous wealth of mineral resources, although so far only potentially. Potatoes are already being grown in the south of Greenland – climate change is making it possible.
New Guinea in the Southwest Pacific
New Guinea is east of the Indonesian Archipelago and north of Australia in the Southwest Pacific. At 786,000 square kilometers, it is a good double the size of Germany. Its western half forms the Indonesian state of Irian Jaya / Papua, the east is the independent Republic of Papua New Guinea, where there are modern cities, but also isolated indigenous people from the Stone Age.
Borneo in Southeast Asia
The island of Borneo is the third largest in the world and covers an area of 743,122 square kilometers. Its southern part is formed by the Indonesian province of Kalimantan, in the north are the Malaysian states of Sarawak and Sabah and the tiny but very rich Kingdom of Brunei. The last orangutans and other rare animal species live in the tropical forest in the interior of the island. It is therefore important to stop deforestation.
Madagascar in the Indian Ocean
Madagascar is around 800 kilometers east of the African continent, far enough to have a completely unique flora and fauna. The island is 587,042 square kilometers and is home to the Republic of Madagascar with the capital Antananarivo.
Baffin Island in the northwest Atlantic
Only a few thousand Indian tribes and Inuit, who are called “First Nations” in Canada, settle on the 507,451 square kilometers of Baffin Island, which belongs to Canada. Today the island belongs to the Canadian territory of Nunavut, in which the “First Nations” were granted extensive self-government. It is said that there are more polar bears than humans on Baffin Island.
Sumatra in the Indonesian Archipelago and Indian Ocean
The island of Sumatra is located in the west of Indonesia and is 473,605 square kilometers. On the coast there are large cities such as Aceh and Medan, the east of the island is opposite Malaysia on the Strait of Malacca, one of the busiest shipping routes in the world. In the interior of the island there are volcanoes and pristine jungle.
Honshu, Sea of Japan and Pacific Ocean
The Japanese main island of Honshu is 230,316 square kilometers, but almost 100 million people live on it. While in the megacities of the coastal plain such as Tokyo, Osaka and Yokohama the settlement is extremely dense and there is a lot of industry, traffic and air pollution, high mountains, forests and a lot of nature predominate in the interior.
Great Britain, between the North Atlantic and the North Sea
Great Britain, which consists of England, Wales and Scotland, is hardly smaller than the main Japanese island. It is the largest part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Almost 60 million people live on the largest British island in an area of 229,883 square kilometers. You can find cities like London, Glasgow or Liverpool here. The British Empire was once ruled from Great Britain.
Victoria Island in the Arctic Ocean
Victoria Island is as sparsely populated as Greenland and Baffin Island. Like the latter, it belongs to Canada and its autonomous territory of Nunavut. Since oil is suspected to be under the Arctic Ocean around the island, many extraction companies are hoping for a further decline in the northern sea ice. The polar bears probably disagree. Victoria Island is 217,291 square kilometers.
Ellesmere Island in the Arctic Ocean
With an area of 196,236 square kilometers, Ellesmere Island is not much inferior to Victoria Island. Canada and Indonesia are definitely the two countries that have the most large islands, even if they couldn’t be more climatically different. Ellesmere Island is located on the infamous and legendary Northwest Passage.
- Africa Flora and Wildlife
- Alaska Travel Package
- Argentina Among Gauchos and Mighty Spirits
- Colorful India
- Cyprus Travel Destination
- Eating in Norway
- Germany Interesting Cities and Central European Idyll
- History of Africa
- India Destinations
- Japan Destinations
- Japan The Land of The Rising Sun
- Netherlands Territory
- Papua New Guinea As a Destination
- Prosperous Qatar
- Shopping Tips for Norway
- Singapore a Modern Metropolis of Southeast Asia
- Tanzania Lake Manyara Ngorongoro and Serengeti
- The Best of Qatar
- The Best of Singapore
- Trips in Asia
- Getty Center & Getty Villa in Los Angeles, California August 9, 2022 - The Getty Center in Los Angeles, California, is an art museum owned by the J. Paul Getty Trust in Brentwood. On December 16, 1997, the center opened its doors for… Read more
- Memo to a Tourist in Namibia August 2, 2022 - The oldest Bushmen rock art attests that these hunter-gatherers roamed South Africa over 25,000 years ago. Namibia deserves respect and is a harsh and merciless land. Few people live here,… Read more
- Sri Lanka Fast Facts July 26, 2022 - Sri Lanka is an island country southeast of India in the Indian Ocean. Diverse landscapes, an exciting culture and a large variety of species are attracting more and more travelers.… Read more
- Romania Fast Facts July 19, 2022 - The often underestimated travel destination Romania borders on Bulgaria, Moldova, Serbia, Ukraine and Hungary. Not only is it home to the Dracula legend, but it is also full of beautiful… Read more
- Kiribati Fast Facts July 12, 2022 - Kiribati is an island nation in the Pacific that is threatened with extinction within the next 80 years or so. The 33 islands are on average only around 2 meters… Read more
- Bryce Canyon National Park – Utah July 5, 2022 - Battlements, towers and bridges According to iamaccepted, Bryce Canyon National Park is located in southwestern Utah. Over a million visitors come to the national park every year. The area of… Read more
- Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco – California June 28, 2022 - Steel Monument on the San Francisco Bay The Golden Gate Bridge is located on San Francisco Bay and stretches north from San Francisco, from Presidio Hill, to the Marin Headlands,… Read more
- Caesar’s Palace, Las Vegas June 21, 2022 - Caesars Palace (Las Vegas, USA) — detailed description, address and photo. Reviews of tourists about the best entertainment in Las Vegas. White marble, slender columns and a 6-meter statue of… Read more
- Austin, Texas June 14, 2022 - Guide to Austin: how to get there and where to stay, what to see and where to go in the evening. The best things to do in Austin: fresh reviews… Read more
- New Orleans, Louisiana June 7, 2022 - Guide to New Orleans: how to get there and where to stay, what to see and where to go in the evening. The highlights of New Orleans: fresh reviews and… Read more